My name is Emily and I’m a thirty-four-year-old human being who uses the pronouns she, her, and hers. The most important thing you need to know for the purposes of this blog, i.e. the reason I created it in the first place, is that I love books. I love reading them, discussing them, recommending them, finding beautiful editions of them, holding them in my hands, gazing upon them fondly and yes, taking little sniffs of their tasty new paper smell…
This is a space where I plan to be a nerd, unabashedly and enthusiastically, a space where I hope you’ll join me in talking about books and ideas. I’ll share what I’m reading, what I’m thinking, where I’m going, and what I’m learning. Maybe I’ll try some creative writing from time to time. Who knows. It’ll be less formal than a school paper (I’ll go ahead and apologize to my mom now for the occasional swear), but a little more put together than my old LiveJournal (rest in peace, Teenage Feelings). It’ll be like… a book party. And you’re invited. Bring whatever you’re currently reading and sit next to me. Have some dang snacks. Let’s discuss where we stand in the oxford comma debate (I’m for it), or how badly I want Sarah Waters to come out with a new novel (so bad).
Basically, I’m imagining the energy of Andrew W.K. (the actual king of parties—please Google him if you’re unfamiliar), but a little quieter and with more cats.
In the interest of rounding out the self-portrait I’m painting, here are some additional salient facts:
- I’m an introvert. Susan Cain’s book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking completely changed my understanding of myself when I read it.
- I have two degrees in English: a BA from Furman and an MA from Wake Forest.
- During the day I’m a barista at a local bakery & coffee shop. I also own a lettering and design business called Em Dash Paper Co.
- I live in an old house with my person, Jordan, and our cat, Phoebe.
- My free time is most often spent reading, but in whatever spare moments remain, I like being outside—walking, running, hiking, disc golfing, or riding my bike.
- I don’t watch a ton of TV, but some of my favorite shows are Gilmore Girls, The Office, Arrested Development, Rick & Morty, Veronica Mars, The Good Place, Scrubs, Parks and Recreation, Dexter, Psych, and Schitt’s Creek.
- I’ve been using the bullet journal method for a few years now and I love it. I’m also very into the feeling of a fresh new notebook, and I’m on a continual quest to find The Perfect Pen.
- I’m not quite as fanatical as some personality type enthusiasts, but I do love digging into how people think and act. I’m an enneagram 4 and an INFJ on the Myers-Briggs (though, yes, I know, take that with a grain of salt, don’t put people in boxes, etc).
- I love lists. There will most definitely be some lists on this blog.